Monday, May 30, 2011

Climb every mountain...

Several years ago we went to the Grand Canyon on a family vacation. Katie, Brittany, John, Terry and Me. We had a great time, we did the hiking thing and went half way down into the canyon. I distinctly remember how much harder it was on my legs to go down than it was to go UP, they got really shaky and weak.
So...
Last week Carol, (one of my friends) and I were going to a meeting in Draper. As we were driving she was telling me a story that she heard about a group of people who were hiking up a very high mountain. The journey had to start very early in the morning or they would not be able to finish before dark. She said that when they got to the summit there was a sign that read, "You are only half done with this journey."
The speaker then went on to talk about how we all have mountains to climb. To some of us our Mountain is Temple marriage. We think, "Oh, we did it, we made it, now we're done." In actuality, we have only just begun, or are only half way done. Often the most difficult part of the journey, and equally important is the second half. The descent. What goes up, must come down.
The more I thought about it the more truth I found.
How often have I been guilty of that very thing?
Last summer Ken & Ellen, and Terry & I went to 'Hole in the Rock'. We got stuck after we had gotten too far in to turn around. We decided to get out and walk the rest of the way. I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE!!
When we were walking to the site we were walking away from the sun. On the way back we were walking into to sun. It was late afternoon and very hot. We had no choice but to keep walking.
The journey will never be complete, the true lesson will never be learned if we don't finish what we start.
Sometimes life is hard. We have to take it one step at a time. But, I promise you, it will definately be worth it.
Please know that I love you.
You NEVER have to climb your mountains alone, you are always in my prayers.
Have a great week.

1 comment: