Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother



I know we all think we have the best Mother...but this is MY blog so I get the last word. The best Mother in the world belongs to ME!! This weekend I started a list of the things that I miss and love about Mary Hatch.
In no particular order...
She always listened to Don Williams, he was her fav. I posted a linc to one of my favorite Don Williams hits. "I Believe in Love" It reminds me of winter mornings in Arizona, getting ready for school, eating hot cereal and watching for the bus.
She had only a hand-full of TV programs she liked. The ones I remember are...
Perry Mason
I Love Lucy
and
Baseball
She was always in the middle of a book, curled up on a chair with her little shot glass of Pepsi. She sipped on that little glass all day.
She was an amazing seamstress. Her things never looked home-made, and she sometimes made her own patterns. I do remember that she never pinned a pattern to the material, she always put tablespoons on them, just long enough to hold them down until the cutting was done.
She loved to move the furniture...
She always made her bed, never did I EVER see her bed unmade.
She new how to ignore us when we were loud, but could hear a pin drop, and a whisper NEVER went unnoticed. If we were quiet she knew we were up to something.
I never heard her say anything negative about my Father. She taught us to love, and respect him.
I remember the day John F. Kennedy was shot. My mother was ironing; she often set up her ironing board in the livingroom so she could watch gameshows while she ironed, that is what she was doing the time JFK died.
She never pretended to be something she wasn't.
Never needed to be the center of attention. She always let us shine.
I never remember a time when she wasn't home, or a phone call away. She was always just where I needed her to be.
I remember her in hair curlers with pink pins. Oh, and the smell of the hair dryer, I can still smell the plastic bonnet, and the feel of the warm air coming out of the hose.
She made everything beautiful.
She taught us to find beauty in everything...
...a loaf of fresh bread
...a desert rain
...the age in an old woman's tired eyes
...my daddy's hands
...beauty marks and crooked teeth
The list could go on and on...
When I think of my mother I see beauty.
I saw a commercial lately for "The Top 100 most Beautiful Women", what a sad tribute to womanhood.
I am grateful to know what true beauty is, my mother is a perfect example.

Mother Dear I love you so,
Your happy, smiling face
is such a joy to look at
you make make the world a BETTER place.

I love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment