Monday, July 25, 2011

Rocks, boulders and stones oh my...

Adapting to change is a very difficult thing sometimes.
I think it is easier if changes come slowly, but if things change too fast or too often it is easy to become weary, and to sometimes just throw in the towel and give up.
Terry and I sat on the floor in our bedroom and discussed the changes that are going in our lives. I think he adapts far better than I do...or maybe it is because I tend to whine when I have to change and Terry takes it all in stride...either way, times... they are a changin'.
The only thing consistent in life is change.
Terry asked me what I would do if he went up into the mountains and brought home a great big boulder and then put it right in the middle of our bathroom. He said that the boulder would be too heavy for me to move so I would have to 'adapt' to the new addition to our otherwise beautiful bathroom. I told him that knowing me I would first write a post in my blog about how irritated I was... I would probably kick it a time or two...just for good measure, and then the miracle of adapting would begin. I might even grow to love the boulder...and again; knowing me I would decorate it in some way so that it looked like it belonged in the bathroom...I might lay towels on it so they could dry...etc.
Eventually the boulder would become a part of our life...I might even miss it when it was finally gone.
We ended up with several analogies about rocks, boulders and stones.
The one I want to write about today is "the boulders in our lives". The things that we cannot change. They could be a new boss, or a new baby. Or an old habit or addiction that we just can't overcome on our own.
The only way to move that boulder is to focus on the things in life that we CAN change, not on the things that we can't.
For instance...two years ago the manager at my store resigned...she was replaced with someone who is very different from me. We do not hardly even speak the same language. All I wanted to do was quit...I didn't want Heavenly Father to help me learn to love her because I just wanted to HATE her. I was comfortable with the feelings I had for her.
As time went by I realized that it would be unwise for me to look for a new job and that is when I decided that I better adapt because SHE was not going to change...the change had to come from me.
I began to pray. I let Heavenly Father know how I felt about her and that I really didn't want to like her...but I had to learn to love her...as a person.
The transformation started, it took about a year. In October it will be 2 years since she came into my life and I can say...without any reservation that I do indeed love her. It was a miracle!
So the conclusion is that my energy had to go into the thing I could change...ME. With Heavenly Father's help I changed. The boulder is still in my life but I chose to focus on the ROCK, not the boulder. It is wonderful to know that if we take care of the little rocks...pebbles...stones, then the Savior; our Rock will take care of the rest.
Last week when Tiffany was going through her miscarriage I told her to have Chad go out and find the biggest, ugliest rock he could find and put it right in the middle of her counter so it would drive her crazy every time she saw it...then she could focus on the rock instead of what was happening to her body; that she could not control.
Life will always put boulders on our path to happiness, it is how we choose to deal with that boulder that makes us who we are.

I pray that this week you will fix the things you can and let Heavenly Father take care of the rest.
Make it a stepping stone week...
not a stumbling block one.
I love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment