Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Horse

I grew up in a family of 'horse' people. No, they didn't walk on four feet, or whinny, they didn't eat oats, well maybe they DID eat oats. :) They just really loved horses. Me, not so much. Oh, I had my share of experiences with the beautiful animals but it didn't take me long to learn that the more beautiful they were the more Feisty they were. So I learned to like the not so pretty ones better. The old nags that couldn't move very fast or were just too tired to buck me off. I did actually get bucked off a horse one time. It scared me so bad that I swore I would never ride again. I think I was about 10. I saddled my noble steed and rode off into the sunset. I pushed that horse and pushed that horse to go faster, faster. I didn't know that she was pregnant and just didn't like the game I was playing with her. She finally got tired of me and simply threw me to the ground. I felt like I flew through the air for 10 minutes before I finally came in contact with the hard ground. It knocked the wind out of me, and that really scared me, I don't think that had ever happened before. I was all alone in the middle of the desert with this stupid horse that was just looking at me like I was the stupid one...really? So, I walked her home, literally, I didn't ride her, I walked her like a dog and put her away. She had a colt the next day. Poor little thing. I felt bad because I had been so mad at her. I even watched her give birth, it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Her baby was so little. Did I mention that she was a Shetland pony? Yes, my noble steed that sent me flying was a Shetland pony. Yup, that was one of those 'tender mercies' from my Heavenly Father. If you have to get thrown from a horse let it be a little horse. ;) My words of wisdom for the day.
No really, the reason I have horses on my mind today is because of the testimony a gentleman shared on Sunday. He is an older man, probably in his 80's. He looks and acts older that my Dad. He talked about a horse he and his siblings shared when they were young. The horse was their only mode of transportation and they loved him. He was dependable and a true friend. He said that one year they asked their dad if they could enter their horse in the race at the county fair. Their dad laughed and said that that old horse would never win a race, that he was just an old work horse. But the kids pleaded with their father. They told their father that they knew he would never win but they thought it would be a wonderful experience for their horse to be running next to champions. That really touched me. I believe that when we have the opportunity to rub shoulders with greatness it makes us stand a little taller. So this week my challenge to you is to "Stand a little TALLER"
I love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment