Thursday, March 29, 2012

Onions

So I have this special relationship with onions.
When the kids were little and I was married to Bob I used tons of onions. I would buy them in the little mesh bags because I used them so often.
Now, I still love onions, but we don't use them as much.
I don't cook as much and when I do I seldom use a whole onion.
Lately I have been buying them in the 'onesies'...
but have you seen the size of those onions?
You can't find a small one in the 'onesies', you have to buy a great big one..
and I will never use all of a great big one.
So, I usually cut it up and put it in the refrigerator...
one of two things happen...
...it stinks up the fridge so bad that I can't stand it so I throw it out...
or..
...it stays in the fridge so long that by the time I get it out to use it it is covered with mold.
So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to just buy a mess bag. The small, little onions that are just the right size for Terry and I...
So, GUESS WHAT I HAVE GROWING ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER?

Yup, green onions..

I give up..

:)

2 comments:

  1. little tip i have learned: buy the 'onesies' and then wrap your unused portion with tinfoil and then put it in a plastic ziplock bag. It keeps it from smelling up the fridge :) that way you can enjoy your onions a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love onions, and cooking with them, but they're pretty affordable, so.....just throw away your unused onion and move on to the next one when you're ready.
    yuck, onions suck up bacteria and odors. so, when you use leftover onion you're also getting whatever it "caught" in your fridge. double yuck.

    ReplyDelete