Monday, February 20, 2012

Marshaling

Last weekend Terry and I went to the Simplot games.
Those of you that don't know, it is a track meet, for high school athletes.
It has been held for the last 34 years, every February in Pocatello Idaho.
There are kids that come to the meet from all over the US and from Canada.
Terry and I sit in almost the same seats every year and watch as the games unfold. We love getting away in the middle of the winter and we have so much fun!!
This year I was watching for that special something, the thing that I take home from the games that has inspired me.
I love to look for inspiring things! I think they are all around us, but most of the time we are too busy or maybe too stupid to notice them.

Yes, I said stupid...

This year I was inspired by the marshaling area.
This is the place where all the athletes go to check in and prepare themselves for their race. They take off all their extra sweatsuits, ipods, jewelry, etc...
They put all of their things in a crate that is taken to the meeting place after the race so they can reclaim them.
They receive all of their instructions and make their final preparations for the race.
When they step on the track all they have with them is what they have chosen to wear.
I was impressed as I watched all of those kids.
Some of them took the warm-up time seriously, while others just kinda wandered around and visited.
Can you just imagine what was going on inside their heads? All the preparation, all the advice of coaches, friends, and parents. But when they step on that track it is just them.

No one can run that race for them.

So, this makes me think about life. All the time we spent studying, preparing for this life. And when we get here....

No one can run that race for us.

I am grateful for the ones who came before me. Who can teach me because they understand what it is like to run the race. They know what it feels like to fall down, to be completely out of breath. To sometimes give a shoulder to lean on or to cry on.

Most importantly I am grateful for my Savior, who understands everything completely, perfectly. I am grateful that He prepared Himself for His race and then He ran it with perfect integrity. Never a better example, teacher or friend.

Each day we choose to get on that track, to run that race. Let's not be bogged down by the things we don't need, the things we can leave in the marshaling area.

Make it a good week, a good race. I love you all!

1 comment: